Souf Jersey :>
Social Media Info:
facebook.com/cosplaykhaleesi, twitter/tumblr @ afrokhaleesi
How long have you been cosplaying?
since 2007, so ten years now!!
What was your first convention?
Tandokucon 2007! (doesn’t exist anymore lol)
What was your first cosplay?
Either a closet cosplay for L when they were releasing the Death Note movies in American theaters, or Deidara from Naruto at Tandokucon ’07.
Do you feel you have a cosplay expertise? If so what would it be? (i.e. props, sewing etc.)
I would say sewing and wig styling, though I don’t think I’m an expert at either, by any stretch of the imagination. I’ve occasionally gotten the comment that I really ’embody’ the characters I dress as, but idk. It always makes me feel good to hear that though. :3
What have been your least and most expensive cosplays?
I tend to buy things over the course of the year so the costs are spread out. Because of that, I’m not really sure. But hands down the most expensive thing I ever bought for any cosplay was my Buster Sword. I love it very much, but GOD that was a punch to the wallet. I got it as a present to myself when I got a promotion at work :>
What is your favorite convention to attend?
Tied right now between Katsucon and Anime NEXT~
What is your dream convention to attend?
Anything on the West Coast, I wanna be where it’s warm~~~~
What is your dream cosplay?
Hard to say. Before it would have been Anthy, but I got to do her in 2015. Now, maybe Midna from Twilight Princess? Or Princess Tiana??
What do you hate about cosplay?
The process. It stresses me OUT. No matter how prepared I think I am, every costume I make sends me into a panic about whether it will get finished in time, and if it will look the way I want it to. There’s also things about the community I don’t like, but I feel like that’s just the same with anything. People are people, and while cosplay is supposed to be this “all encompassing open and welcoming space” the reality is that you see all the same things in the community that you see outside it. That’s not so much something I hate, more like just a sad inevitability. :<
What do you love about cosplay?
The process. It may stress me out, but cosplay gives me the chance to set goals and hurdles for myself, and then to complete them and showcase my work. It soothes my brain to put countless hours into details in a costume that no one else will notice, just for the knowledge that it came out exactly as I wanted it to. It also gives me a chance to support other people’s amazing work. I was an unsociable 15 year old when I started cosplaying, and over the course of the years I have learned to open myself up to others and share and try things I might have never done without this hobby driving me. It has also introduced me to great people, and fantastic photographers, and wonderful friends.
Tell us something cool!
I don’t know what to put here??? I’m really lame tbh uhhhhhhhhhh hopefully I’ll be at Blerdcon this year?? I’m really hoping to go, since a Black nerd centric con has been my Dream since I was but a wee wigless child ;;v;;
Hermione Granger from Harry Potter, Photo by ArtsyRaccoon
Aerith Gainsborough from FFVII, Photo by ChezPhoto
Anthy Himemiya from Revolutionary Girl Utena, Photo by AshB Images
Lightning from FFXIII, Photo by Zerochromatic
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 Black Girl Nerds
- BGN #112 I It’s Oprah! And Karen Pittman - April 22, 2017
- BGN interviews Makeup Artist Maggie Fung – Wondercon 2017 – “In What Universe” panelist - April 21, 2017
- BGN interviews Chris Villain – Wondercon 2017 – “In What Universe” moderator - April 20, 2017
- Critically Acclaimed ‘The Walking Dead: The Telltale Series – A New Frontier’ Continues in Episode 4 on April 25th - April 20, 2017
- Marvel Studios’ “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Takes Over Hollywood! - April 19, 2017
- #BGNPodcast LIVE at the Star Wars Celebration in Orlando - April 18, 2017
- Young Black Jetsetter Presents New Art & Travel Web Series ‘Where Art Thou’ - April 18, 2017
- “Page One” – Short Film About the Black Guy Who Dies First In Every Horror Movie - April 17, 2017
- BGN Movie Review: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - April 17, 2017
- BGN Talks: “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” Trailer REACTION and Review - April 16, 2017