A new trailer for Pacific Rim was released this week and gave us a few new things to think about, and even more questions. Here are some of things that intrigued us the most.
- It’s been ten years since his father died sealing the breach that allowed the kaiju into our world. What has Jake Pentecost being doing with himself? Living his best life through a series of parties and getting locked up, it would seem. He’s doing the opposite of living up to his father’s legacy and he knows it. Mako Mori tells him that his father always wanted him to be a pilot. She would know—she was probably closer to Stacker than Jake. But Jake doesn’t see himself as a hero. What changes his mind and drives him to become a pilot? And what part does Amara play in it? We see them sitting together in the beginning of the trailer and can only wonder.
2. 15-year-old Jaeger hacker Amara managed to accomplish something highly improbable—she built her own jaeger out of scrap. More importantly, it’s one that doesn’t require a co-pilot. In the original movie, two or more pilots were necessary to share the massive neural load of the Jaegers. Only Stacker Pentecost and Raleigh Becket were able to pilot alone and that was only for short periods of time. Amara seems like she has no problems piloting. What will this mean for the movie?
3. Perhaps the most startlingly piece of news is how the kaiju were able to return. The original ended had Raleigh igniting the core of Gypsy Danger to blow up the rift from the inside, closing the bridge from the kaiju’s world to our’s. However, here they are again ten years later. How did that happen? It seems that human intervention had a hand in it. We see drones being built, and those drones teaming up together to open the rift, allowing a kaiju to emerge through.
The drones also seem to be a composed of a combination of jaeger tech and kaiju biology, making for a more formidable opponent. Who built these drones? Is it the woman in white, or someone more nefarious?
4. Humans being behind the reopening of the rift casts this battle between Gypsy Avenger and a mysterious Jaeger in a new light. We now know that this is a rogue Jaeger named Obsidian Fury. It’s possible that Obsidian Fury is part of the same group that wants to open the rift. It’s also interesting to note here that Obsidian Fury has orange blades and. later in the trailer. Gypsy Avenger has the same colored blades, instead of the blue ones. Are weapons interchangable?
5. The kaiju are bigger. So much bigger. And they seem more powerful. Their alien creators have been just as busy as the new Jaeger programs. No wonder so many Jaegers are involved in the fight. Between the imposing kaiju and the manmade drones, the new jaegers are going to have their work cut out for them.
Pacific Rim Uprising is directed by Steven S. DeKnight (Netflix’s Daredevil, STARZ’s Spartacus) and stars John Boyega, Rinko Kikuchi, Cailee Spaeny, Scott Eastwood, Jing Tian, Burn Gorman, Adria Arjona and Charlie Day. It opens March 23.
What's Your Reaction?
Writer. Podcast contributor. Costume design enthusiast. Lover of fantasy movies from the 1980s and bizarre deep sea creatures. Can be found tweeting about comics, Yuri on Ice, Doctor Who or Star Wars at @jane_anon or on the Nerds of Prey podcast.