Brooklyn-based artist showcases their latest film in Los Angeles and New York this June.
A queer oddball seeks approval from their black peers despite a serious lack of hip-hop knowledge. Is it cool for black people to ski—or like Depeche Mode? The quest for a Black Card (undeniable acceptance of blackness) skips from Missouri to New York, and halfway around the world in this animated documentary. black enuf* interweaves stories from Hawks’ great-grandmother’s autobiography, interviews of family & friends, and illustrated memories. Maroonhorizon Media LLC is excited to screen the animated documentary, black enuf* on June 10th at 1pm at The Mixed/Remixed Film Festival at the Los Angeles Theatre Center (514 S. Spring Street). The entire festival is free and open to the public.
On Thursday, June 15th, the film will screen at The Brooklyn Museum in New York 7pm with a Q&A session with the director. (200 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn, NY).
Hawks says “Hopefully, my experience will help someone else figure out where they fit in or how they belong.”
“Intriguing. Emotional. Well done.” – Writer, Producer Aaron Rahasaan Thomas (about Hawks’ first film, Delilah)
Carrie Hawks harnesses the magic of animation to tell stories. They’ve been seriously committed to visual art ever since holding a crayon. Their first film, Delilah, won the Best Experimental Award at the Reel Sisters of the Diaspora Film Festival (2012). Their films have screened films at their brother’s house, BlackStar Film Festival (Philadelphia), CinemAfrica (Stockholm, Sweden), and MIX Queer Experimental Film Festival (New York). The Jerome Foundation gave generous funding to black enuf*Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 Black Girl Nerds
- The 3rd Annual Black Girl Nerds of Color Meetup - July 25, 2017
- Software you must have on your PC - July 23, 2017
- Marvel Studios at #SDCC - July 23, 2017
- #SDCC Exclusive: It’s All About Stranger Things At Comic Con - July 23, 2017
- #SDCC Exclusive: Episode 1 Of The Defenders - July 23, 2017
- #SDCC Exclusive: Bright On Netflix - July 21, 2017
- A Wrinkle In Time Is Bursting With Promise - July 20, 2017
- Girls Trip Swag Pack Giveaway! - July 19, 2017
- We’ve Discovered The Easiest Way To Meet Black Girl Nerds - July 17, 2017
- Taraji P. Henson, 4C Hair For A Disney Princess And More At The D23 Expo! - July 14, 2017