An Ode to Black Women Creatives in Media

As it stands, there are few Black women creatives receiving their due moment in the spotlight — but can 2018 bring the end of that? Here's on Black Girl Nerd's ode to the Black women in media and her celebration at their hammering of the glass ceiling that separates them from the rest of the world.

Four Ways “Siren” is NOT “The Little Mermaid” (and Why You Should Watch it!)

Siren is a series about mermaids, but don’t go into it expecting a love-struck redheaded teenager with a great voice and a clamshell bra. At WonderCon this past weekend, the creators and stars of the new drama from Freeform make it clear that you won’t see any pet flounders and singing crabs in this...

My Time at WonderCon

WonderCon 2018 is sadly over. This year was chock full of cosplayers and top-notch content which made me wish I had a time turner so I could see it all. I have attended WonderCon for the past 4 years and every year I am amazed at what is available. Panels included We’re Still Here:...

BGN Profile: Cosplayer KayBear Talks Craft, Community, and Cats

Cosplay Quick Facts Name: Kay Thomas Age: 23 Birthplace: Trinidad Length of Cosplaying:  2 years Hobbies Outside of Cosplay: Playing League of Legends, traveling, hiking, playing with her cats! If you could be any crayon color, you’d be? Pink Ayana Underwood: Hi Kay! I’m thrilled to be chatting with you, especially since you’re a fellow Trini gyal. My mom is actually...

Gail Simone: The Nerd Community Has Not Forgotten the People of Puerto Rico

The comic book community is again coming together to assist in the recovery of Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria devastated the island six months ago. After organizers of Puerto Rico Comic-con announced they would go forward with the annual event, several artists, celebrities and creators have reinforced their commitment to the people of the island...

kweliTV Is the Streaming Service That Centers the Black Diaspora

kweliTV delivers authentic stories about the Black community through documentaries, films and series. For the Black Girl Nerds out there, kweliTV has a sci-fi fantasy section with short films like Habeas Corpus starring Chad L Coleman from The Walking Dead and screen legend Tim Reid in a story about a man who can’t get over...

Why I Still Get Mad When I Game — The Story of a Female POC Gamer

It can be rough being a female POC Gamer. And for one Black Girl Nerd, it gets downright infuriating. Read on and learn why one BGN still gets mad when she's gaming, here on Black Girl Nerds!

Minority Mental Health App: “The Safe Place” — BGN Spotlight

Learn more about 'The Safe Place', the new app created by Jasmin Pierre to service those who need help in the Black and underserved communities. Read more about it here, on Black Girl Nerds!

‘Puerto Rico wants and needs this’: After devastation of Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico Comic-con to continue

As Puerto Rico continues to recover from the devastation left behind by Hurricane Maria, organizers for Puerto Rico Comic-Con announced this year’s convention will go on as planned and will be one of the first largest non-fundraising events to take place on the island. “The idea of not holding the event never crossed our...

BGN Interview With Engineer Brittany Young Creator of STEM Outreach Program B-360

When someone mentions STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) your first thoughts are probably equations and giant machines, but if someone were to mention dirt bikes you just might look at them funny. Brittany Young — a young black female engineer in Baltimore, Maryland — created B-360 a multi-award-winning organization that teaches youth about the...
All original content on these pages is fingerprinted and certified by Digiprove
X