BGN Talks to ‘NCIS: New Orleans’ Writer, Talicia Raggs

It was a photo that fellow Gary, IN native, Talicia Raggs posted on Facebook that prompted me to message her. She, and actor, Geoffrey Owens, smiling broadly on the set of CBS’s hit series, NCIS: New Orleans. Geoffrey Owens has been the target of controversy as a photo surfaced of him online working at...

Take the Pledge with AT&T “It Can Wait” and Bevy Smith

Pledge to be an advocate for the cause, to lead by example and spread the message. @bevysmith is partnering with @att to take the “It Can Wait” pledge to drive distraction-free because it can save lives and make the world a safer place. Take the pledge with her! #itcanwait #sponsored http://bit.ly/ATT-ICW-PLEDGE_BGN

10 Things about Our Favorite ‘American Gods’ Characters

by Alisha Street Ricky Whittle is, in his own words “Not a broody moody person at all!” This and other facts were revealed when a few members of the cast decided to grace #DragonCon2018 with their presence. The four-day panel spread that was filled with the cast’s authentic completely abstract personalities from their character counterparts....

Power Morphicon Morphs Fandom Into Power

We came, we saw, we morphed at Southern California’s Official Power Morphicon 2018! This year I got to add a new con into my rotation and that is always exciting. Conventions are sort of my thing. I wanted to come and focus on the rangers of color and what their representation means to ranger...

Detroit & the Critique of “Wokeness” in ‘Sorry To Bother You’

By Ro @RoeToThe There’s been a lot of discussion of the character Detroit (Tessa Thompson) from director Boots Riley’s wonderful new film Sorry to Bother You. Riley himself has jumped into the discussion to give his own explanation of the character. I’m generally not down with storytellers explaining themselves. The point of art — is being...

HBO’s “Random Acts of Flyness Exhibit” is an Unforgettable Art Installation

By Lynnette Nicholas The two-day art exhibition features a variety of vignettes and installations that reflect themes and scenes represented in the Random Acts of Flyness variety series. Designed to celebrate black culture, the two-day experience will feature several interactive elements including: “Black Women Will Save Us All” Room-highlighting the Black women who continue to make and...

BGN TBT: To Reboot or Not to Reboot Our Black Classic Faves

By Ashley Turner Welcome back to BGN's Throwback Thursday, #BGNTBT, where we reminisce about TV shows I barely remember. Well, I remember them enough to write 800 words about them. In fact, this week, I’ve got a topic I could fill a book with. It's also a topic that I can’t escape no matter how hard...

It’s Time for Power Morphicon!

It’s affirmative, guys! The Power Morphicon convention is on this weekend in Anaheim! Now I’ve been to a lot of conventions, and I do mean A LOT  of conventions, but few have me as excited as this year's Power Morphicon. This bi-annual convention boasts so many of my childhood faves that I think my...

BGN Interview: Amy Aniobi and Ben Cory Jones on the ‘Insecure’ Writers Room

BGN got to speak with the writers of the hit HBO show Insecure, Ben Cory Jones and Amy Aniobi, as they worked with HBO’s The Studio. The program is billed as a “creative experience celebrating the LGBTQ+ community.” It runs through August 19 in Provincetown, Massachusetts bringing in creatives from HBO’s shows each week....

BGN Interview: Cast Of ‘Crazy Rich Asians’

In a few days, one of the most anticipated movies of the summer, Warner Bros' Crazy Rich Asians, premieres in theaters nationwide. This film could quite possibly be a game-changer based on how successful and well-received its release will be for audiences. While many fans both Asians and non-Asians alike are excited about the impending...
X