This week’s new episode of Speechless was an overall success. We got to learn a bit of the history between Jimmy and Maya, which involved betrayal, illicit love, and fisticuffs.
I had never considered Maya and Jimmy’s relationship to be one lacking fire. They go together perfectly. I couldn’t see it any other way. Ray and Dylan get in the mix and start questioning their parent’s hotness which is A) completely relatable because I can’t picture my parents like that and B) got me thinking about Maya and Jimmy’s overall relationship. I don’t think we see them get intimate with public displays of affection because their displays of affection are broadcast in a different way. They support each other without a doubt, and they are there for each other when it counts.
It was nice to see Jimmy’s passionate side. I had a feeling he was a romantic at heart. From the release of hundreds of little hearts representing each way he loves Maya, to the homemade video of their life from the past, present, and future, his romantic gestures were super cute. The only way Maya could think of a way to top Jimmy, was to re-create the moment Jimmy professed his love for her. Ironically it was on Valentine’s Day. I did think it was a little odd they never celebrated Valentine’s Day even though it had such an impact on their lives. Then again, Maya and Jimmy aren’t the traditional type, so it makes perfect sense.
In the end, Maya comes clean about not being able to pull off the perfect Valentine’s gift but their special history is replayed accidentally. It was kind of hot to see Jimmy punch his wife’s ex due to a case of mistaken identity; her ex clearly has a type. But, it was the idea that he would do anything for Maya, including get into a bar fight for her. Aww!
I’m glad we are diving into the backstory of the characters a little bit. I like getting a deeper understanding of my favorite shows. Tune in next week to see what daring exploits the DiMeos get in at a country club, only on ABC.
Catalina Combs is an aspiring film critic from California. She loves reading, writing, film, baking, music, drawing, traveling, Disney, and playing soccer. Her life usually revolves around all of these and her family. The oldest of six, Catalina tries to set a good example for her siblings. She graduated from Santa Clara University in 2010 with a BA in English Creative Writing and is pursuing an MA in Film. I also blog on WordPress and contribute to the website Examiner.com. Twitter- @tiggercraze | Facebook- Cat Combs | Instagram: @tiggercrazeClick here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 Black Girl Nerds
- Review : Baby Driver - July 25, 2017
- Watch a New Animated Short for Pixar’s Coco - July 24, 2017
- Interview With Hair Love’s Matthew A. Cherry - July 24, 2017
- BGN Interviews Actress Sydney Park - July 24, 2017
- #SDCCExclusives: Black Lightning has the cast you will want more of! - July 23, 2017
- #SDCC Exclusive: Official Series Trailer for Star Trek: Discovery Wows Fans - July 23, 2017
- #SDCC Exclusive: Marvel Shines and Gives Us All Life - July 23, 2017
- Mass Effect: Andromeda Review - July 22, 2017
- The Nerds Won ‘Game of Thrones’ this Week! - July 21, 2017
- For Black People Who Watch ‘Game of Thrones’ While Waiting for ‘Who Fears Death’ - July 21, 2017