By Kai Charles
There are many locations Star Wars fans can visit to recapture the feel of the saga, but few places can provide the living history of Rancho Obi-Wan. Steve Sansweet’s main goals at the Ranch are conservation and education. It has made the Ranch a must-see for Star Wars fans.
Though I have been a member of the Ranch in the past, I have yet to visit it, so I was excited to see what Steve had planned for his booth this year. Rancho Obi-Wan takes over a portion of the exhibit hall at Celebration and turns it into a mini themed exhibit. There is a tremendous amount of work involved in choosing and shipping the items to Celebration.
This year the entrance of the exhibit was dedicated to Carrie Fisher. The emotional impact of the items hit me immediately. The collectibles displayed ran the gamut from oversized action figures to more recent collectibles by Funko.
I teared up immediately, remembering many glorious hours playing with many of the toys displayed as well as the collectibles celebrating Leia/Carrie from all around the world,
Next to that was an equally touching collection devoted to the life of Kenny Baker, which included a life-sized R2 unit.
The star of this exhibit was the entire left side of the space. The Rancho team, created a child’s bedroom covered with items that Star Wars fans of the original trilogy would own. From Star Wars bedsheets and blankets, to trading cards and record albums, all the items displayed were authentic to the 70’s. The room had the effect of capturing a moment in time, like any moment a child would run end and begin playing.
Again, all the feels rose up as I saw toys that were well beloved and lost and some that still remain in my collection. Another stellar job by Steve Sansweet ! Visit Rancho Obi-WanClick here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 Black Girl Nerds
- SWCO: Star Wars Animated Journeys: From Clone Wars To Rebels - April 28, 2017
- BGN Exclusive — 8 Cool Things I Learned at Pixar’s Cars 3 Press Day - April 28, 2017
- “Dear White People” Drops Tomorrow - April 27, 2017
- The Color of Science - April 27, 2017
- American Gods Premiere at the Cinerama Dome: Close Encounters of a Celestial Kind - April 27, 2017
- Review: Rogue One Issue One by Houser Laiso & Bazaldua - April 26, 2017
- It’s Bombs, Missiles, And More Bombs on This Week’s ‘#DesignatedSurvivor - April 26, 2017
- Netflix Nostalgia with The Return of Bill Nye and MST3K - April 26, 2017
- The Magicians Closes Out Its Second Season - April 26, 2017
- 5 Shows for Busy, Sleep-Deprived Moms - April 25, 2017