The First Purge debuts next week, on the 4th of July in US theaters, so this trailer is just in time to catch that political horror wave. In it, we get a glimpse of the show and some facts about the premise and plot structure that some of you may not have known.
- The whole season takes place in one Purge night. The night of a Purge well into the tradition of the day is the subject of the movie. It seems to want to show us the many facets of the phenomenon. Like a microscope on the players. So, every episode takes place on the same night, over a 12-hour time span.
- This is a multicharacter show. The focus is on several players and thus more than one family’s narrative is followed. We will get to see what drives the psycho dude in a blue bus full of teenagers to do whatever the hell he plans to do. I feel sorry for whoever he is out to Purge on.
- The show won’t pull punches on the politics. Listen up when watching the trailer for a distinct political slogan that the Purge films have more than implied was the target of their political horror. The rich guests pouring into a massive building (church? museum?) and the group of wealthy people surrounding a man in a t-shirt show that classism is also a key trope in the show as well.
- The Purge franchise creatives are staying on to guide the show as well. James DeMarco, creator of the series, will write and executive produce the show. Jason Blum is the showrunner.
- It hits USA network just in time for the fall premieres. The Purge tv show premieres September 4, 2018, t 10/9 central time, on USA network and will simulcast on SYFY.
Stay tuned to BGN for more information about The Purge on USA network as well as some behind-the-scenes info and more.
What's Your Reaction?
Jonita Davis is a writer, mother, a certified nerd, and writer of Black Girl Nerds. Davis is a critic and journalist. She has been writing for 13 years about the way pop culture and politics affect our lives as parents, women, black women, nerds, and people of this planet.