Marvel comic duo Cloak and Dagger will join the summer programming in an eponymous show, Cloak and Dagger, on the Freeform network airing June 7. The first trailer dropped and gave fans a glimpse of the show. Let me tell you Cloak and Dagger fans, you need to get ready for some changes as things depart from the comics you know so well.
- Divine Pairing: The narration in the trailer called the duo a “divine pairing,” hinting teens Tyrone (played by Aubrey Joseph) and Tandy (Olivia Holt) may be drawn together (and given their powers) by something much more than a thwarted theft and bad narcotics. With that said, there may be some supernatural way the duo gets their powers, or somehow, the “bad drugs” storyline prevails. As the narration kept going on about fate, divinity, and the universe, my money is on the supernatural. This part is really important, so I hope the network gets it right — or believable.
- Similar Backstory: It looks like Tyrone will become a jock who is having some trouble at school. Tandy is a girl with a hard life, so maybe her character will still have the family issues that drove her to run away. We know the duo click in the comics over their runaway status and need to survive on the streets. Some of this may translate to the television show, but not all of it.
- Super Powers: Tyrone and Tandy meet up and test out their powers in an abandoned building. She does have the light energy power, but it’s unclear what Cloak/Tyrone has. His power is dark to her light — an important element held over from the comics. But, the cloak that Tyrone wears as The Cloak is his power, so what is Tyrone capable of in the Freeform show? He is essentially shooting dark power from his hands. What is that? I am seriously asking. Catch me on Twitter if you have a theory!
- Superhero Crossovers? Will there be glimpses of the other heroes? Fans know that The Cloak and Dagger debuted in Spider Man issue 64, in 1982. Now, I don’t expect Freeform to get Tom Holland for a cameo. However, the Tyrone and Tandy did tangle with and eventually befriend The Runaways. Is there a chance for a crossover?
- Absolute Opposites: This opposites thing was played very thin in the comics. Tandy was the antithesis of Tyrone in every way. Let’s hope the Freeform show goes light on the oppositions and works harder at the realities of new mutant-hood, with some great crime fighting scenes. The Cloak and Dagger were vigilantes after all. The fans will need to see some Jessica Jones-level ass kicking.
That’s all we know so far. Stay tuned for more details as we draw closer to Cloak and Dagger premiering June 7 on Freeform.
By: Jonita Davis
About the Author: Jonita Davis loves, reads, studies, and writes about comics, books, TV, culture, and more. You can usually find her in a corner somewhere, dragging a pen across paper in an effort to make sense of the world.
What's Your Reaction?
BGN works to feature strong, unique content from writers who speak to our niche. If you are interested in having your work highlighted contact email@example.com to be featured as a guest blogger on the site.