By: Asia Blaney
You may be wondering what the above picture is. What does “Revolutionary Blerd” mean? Revolutionary Blerd is a fusion of two things that I am really passionate about: being a blerd (black nerd) and being a pro-black revolutionary. Some of you may be amazed at the collaboration of these two seemingly different subjects. “Wait, you’re pro-black, but you also like to collect Pokemon cards, watch anime and read comics?” Why YES, I do all of that and much more. For some of you, this may be amazing, and you have been wondering for years how to do this without fail. Now, I will show you how.
STEP 1: CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE MENTALLY ABLE TO HANDLE LIKING (LOVING) TWO THINGS AT ONCE
Some of you do not have the mental capacity to do this. If it is too strenuous to be nerdy and pro-black simultaneously, I suggest you discontinue engaging in these concepts. You may want to reserve that mental capacity to concentrate on breathing, blinking, and other natural bodily functions. For those of you who can extend your mental capacities beyond the focus of walking and breathing without passing out, continue to step 2.
STEP 2: CHECK THE DEFINITION OF PRO-BLACK AND NERDY
The goal here is to make sure that we can be both of these things at the same time without contradiction. So let us look below to make sure that the word “pro-black” doesn’t mean anti-nerd and that “nerd” doesn’t mean anti-black.
Pro-black | adj | /prō-blĂk/ – a lifestyle that encourages and influences the economic and cultural growth and development of black people as a whole
Nerd | n | /nûrd/ – one who gains pleasure from amassing large quantities of knowledge about subjects often too detailed or difficult for others to care or understand; often mistaken for geeks; 2: The person you will one day call “boss”
Whew, that was close. It looks like neither of these definitions has “anti” in them. Let us move on to the next step.
STEP 3: DO YOUR PRO-BLACK THING
So, your are at step three. Great! You know how to multitask — something many people struggle to do every day. Now, this step is “do your pro-black thing.” That means whatever you do to be pro-black, just do it. Whether you make inspirational videos about how corrupt our public school systems are or promote black businesses. Whatever you do, do it to show your pro-blackness. Just do it!
STEP 4: DO YOUR NERD/GEEK THING
I must explain here that step 3 and step 4 do not have to be done in chronological order; it is all up to you whichever is accomplished first. What is your nerd/geek thing? Maybe you are a huge anime geek because Sebastian Michaelis gives you goose bumps all over. Or maybe you feel Juvia Lockser is your twin. You could love video games! You could even be a nerd for reading. Books are way more reliable than people and you don’t have to feed them. Whatever your nerd/geek things are, just do it!
STEP 5: COMBINE YOUR TWO PASSIONS… OR DON’T. IT’S WHATEVER
If you so choose, you can combine your nerd/geek passion with your pro-black passion. Here are a few examples:
- Watch anime, cartoons, sci-fi, etc. with black characters, such as Afro Samurai, The Boondocks, and Naruto
- Enjoy work by other black nerds. I myself love @priderokart, @jaytoon and @adornedbychi
- Create a black character and make your own stuff
These are just a few examples of how you can combine both passions. Or… you can not combine them and just like both things separately by following steps 1-4.
I hope this information has helped some of you answer the question of how to be pro-black and enjoy other things at the same time. Although it may seem impossible, you can be pro-black and be a nerd/geek. You can also be pro-black and play video games or pro-black and love nonsense. With these 5 easy steps, the sky is the limit.
Copyright 2017 Black Girl Nerds
- The Carmichael Show Attends a Wedding and Funeral - June 25, 2017
- Universal Pictures’ GIRLS TRIP: Film’s Leading Ladies Tease Carpool Karaoke Series - June 24, 2017
- The Stifling of Black Masculinity on The Bachelorette - June 24, 2017
- Give Us More Rick & Morty! - June 23, 2017
- Chadwick Boseman is Back to Biopics with the New “Marshall” Trailer - June 23, 2017
- Review: Star Wars : Darth Vader Issue 1 - June 23, 2017
- Laura Moon as a Litmus Test for White Femininity - June 22, 2017
- American Gods, Sacrifices, Sellouts, and Survival - June 22, 2017
- E3 Round Up: Melanin Edition - June 22, 2017
- Star Trek Redux: Terrorism on DS9 - June 22, 2017