Who other to introduce and host the Black Adam panel for DC FanDome than the man who will be playing Black Adam, Dwayne Johnson (Jumanji, Moana). In a short panel, Johnson introduced us to the film, answered some fan questions, and brought in his co-star Noah Centineo (To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, The Perfect Date), who will be playing Atom Smasher. The film is slated for a December 22, 2021, release.
Here’s what Johnson had to say: “As you can imagine we’re still in the very early processes of this creation. I can promise you this, I give you my word that we are going to go beyond your wildest expectations. I already know this because your expectations are high; so are mine.” While the plot is still unknown, here are the top ten takeaways from the Black Adam panel at DC FanDome.
- The film is directed by Jaume Collet-Serra (The Shallows, House of Wax) and written by Adam Sztykiel (Due Date, Rampage) based on comic books and characters from C.C. Beck and Otto Binder.
- As we all know, Black Adam is one of the most powerful superheroes, antiheroes, villains, whatever you want to call him, in the DC universe. Usually, superheroes have to exhibit a little bit of restraint when it comes to taking care of those who are opposing them or who are in their way. But this idea that you could take all of Black Adam’s powers and he does not practice restraint makes for a really powerful combination. One that’s explosive, one that’s very dangerous, and one that is ultimately very likable.
- Johnson thinks it might be cool for Black Adam to hang out with Superman. They’re kind of similar in terms of powers, strengths, and speeds. Black Adam and Superman could be friends, or not. The teasing suggests we might find out just what kind of relationship Black Adam and Superman will have.
- Black Adam has been with Johnson for a long time. This project has been in development for over 10 years. Producer Hiram Garcia, who is the president of Seven Bucks productions, has been working on it with Johnson for a long time.
- One of the things Johnson always admired about Black Adam is that he is an antihero. The line is a little blurred. He has his own sense of justice. At the end of the day, Black Adam is a ruthless keeper of justice and not a stereotypical villain or hero. The film will stay faithful to that. He’s the judge, jury, and executioner. He believes in an eye for an eye. He will always do everything he can to protect his people, and even more so to protect his family.
- Black Adam’s origins are that of a slave. When the origins are that of somebody who was enslaved with his people and his family, he felt the burdens and pressures of a larger entity holding him down until he couldn’t take it anymore. “When you come from that place, it’s just a different energy and a vibe, different mana that you have.” This informs how Black Adam operates, how he sees justice, and how he delivers justice.
- The film will introduce JSA, Justice Society of America, an organization that believes in fighting for truth and justice.
- Atom Smasher’s real name is Albert Rothstein, and he has something to prove. He has a great background story involving his lineage and grandfather who was a villain, but he has the spirit of wanting to help. The character goes through a transformation throughout the film, which highlights his first mission. It’s a journey that he goes on of what it means to be a superhero. He gets to know someone like Black Adam, who takes a different approach to solving a problem or fighting bad guys. It’s an exciting character. It’s a young character. It’s a new fresh face who is apparently the size of the Eiffel Tower or the Empire State Building.
- Some of the other characters we may see in Black Adam are Hawkman, Doctor Fate, and Cyclone. Hawkman is a fierce warrior without equal. The hero known as Hawkman has been a human being trapped in an ancient Egyptian curse of endless death and rebirth. Doctor Fate is a powerful sorcerer and the founding member of the Justice Society of America. Cyclone possesses the power of wind manipulation and can summon cyclones and whirlwinds, project powerful bursts of air, and fly through the air by riding wind currents. Cyclone can also control sound currents, gathering and sending sound waves.
- Black Adam wants The Flash, Shazam, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman to know that things will never be the same because the hierarchy of power in the DC Universe is about to change. The Justice League has been called out.