Mother’s Day 2017 is finally here, and we’re making the most of the day by showing our beloved mothers the love and appreciation they so deserve.
In honor of the special day, check out the leading ladies who have graced the small screen from the ’90s to present day — including a few cool moms you have yet to meet!
Clair Huxtable, The Cosby Show (1984)
We fell in love with the Cosby family soon as they premiered on our screens in the ’80s. It wasn’t too long after we fell in love with Clair Huxtable. She was a career woman and mother who taught us the importance of equality and breaking the stereotypes of the role of a woman in and out of a household.
Aunt Viv, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990)
Aunt Viv was sassy, smart, and had no qualms about standing up for what she believed in. Who could forget about the time she taught us about the importance of self-love and self-acceptance and slayed her dance routine to “Everybody Dance Now” after feeling down about turning 40?
Rochelle, Everybody Hates Chris (2005)
TV moms back in the day certainly paved the way for our beloved mothers on television today, one of them being Rochelle! Rochelle always ensured that her family never came off looking bad. While her assertiveness and strictness could come off as too much, her actions were always motivated by the love for her family.
Rainbow Johnson, Black-ish (2014)
Rainbow is caring, stylish, and hilarious. She succeeds in balancing her wacky husband, four very different children, and one very outspoken mother-in-law.
Cookie Lyon, Empire (2015)
It wouldn’t be a Mother’s Day if we didn’t acknowledge the feisty Queen of the family empire herself, Cookie Lyon. The animal-print-wearing mother of three talented young men has kept her family and fortune in-check with her gritty, cutthroat and edgy personality. Cookie has taught us all how to not allow people to take advantage of you and how to rightfully fight for yourself.
Returning as Cynthia, Emmy Award-winning actress Loretta Devine is Jerrod’s loud, proud and Christian mother. While she is known to hilariously speak her mind on whatever the issue at hand is, it all comes from a place of love. The Carmichael Show season 3 premieres Wednesday, May 31 on NBC.
Essence Atkins as Angie Wayans on Marlon (2017)
Essence Atkins returns to the small screen to play Marlon Wayans’ wife on the upcoming series Marlon. Though she has yet to grace our screens, we know viewers will fall in love with her the same way they loved her on the hit show, Smart Guy in the ’90s. Essence will star as Marlon’s ex-wife, Angie Wayans — a woman determined to make sure her family keeps it together and as she sets a great example for the kids.
Catch the Marlon series premiere on Wednesday, August 16th on NBC.
So many great moms to celebrate! Be sure to show your mother all the praise she deserves this Mother’s Day!Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 Black Girl Nerds
- Insecure Season 2 Premiere, Episode 1: “Hella Great” — RECAP - July 23, 2017
- Hella Cute: BGN Hit FlavorPill’s ‘Insecure’ Season 2 Hella Brunchin’ Event - July 22, 2017
- Mother’s Day 2017: TV Moms We’re Celebrating! - May 14, 2017
- BGN Movies: Top Ten Must-See Movies of Summer 2017! - May 10, 2017
- Marvel’s Monsters Unleashed Teams Up With The Black Eyed Peas! - April 30, 2017
- Star Wars Fan Flick The Force and The Fury Crushes Gender Boundaries With First Female Sith! - April 29, 2017
- Entrepreneur Stacy Malone Snags Lead Role in “Blasian” Romantic Comedy! - April 12, 2017
- OWN’S Popular Game Bold Moves Adds Greenleaf Spin! - April 8, 2017
- “BLACK PANTHER: A NATION UNDER OUR FEET – PART ELEVEN” FEATURING “DON’T FRONT” FROM RECORDING ARTIST, BAS - April 7, 2017
- Truth Awards 2017: Loretta Devine, Same Fine, and Tracey Norman Among Honorees - March 8, 2017