The Met Gala Never Ceases To Amaze Us

Last night one of the most popular fashion events of the year took place at the illustrious Met Gala in the city that never sleeps — New York City. The super exclusive event that invites the biggest and brightest stars of music, film, sports and all entertainment come out to show their Sunday's best...

‘Dear White People’ Talks Directly to White America In Season 2

It is a common refrain that the black experience can’t be broken down into one image. That’s what makes the stereotypes so insulting. The “thug,” “aggressive” Black women are just a few of the things that ignore the nuances of blackness. It also disregards the fact that the people wearing that melanin richness need...

BGN News Beat: The Week’s Biggest News

What's going on in the TV world? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVA0T7-ceeQ The premiere date of Dear White People season 2 has been set. It's debuting Friday, May 4. Based on Justin Simien's critically acclaimed debut indie feature, the series follows a group of students of color at the predominantly white Ivy League Winchester University as they navigate a diverse...

Jamie Broadnax Statement on Universal Fan Con

I am Jamie Broadnax, the founder of Black Girl Nerds and a member of Universal Fan Con. On Friday, April 20, 2018 I provided a preliminary statement to the individuals that supported Universal Fan Con on Kickstarter in 2016. What followed was a day of questions, justifiable anger, frustration. However, what was lacking was...

Representation Matters But So Does Embracing Fandom & Nerding Out

Listen. I loved Black Panther. A lot. And apparently, so did everyone else within the several universes Thanos aspires to conquer now that he feels like doing it himself... at least until he steps to Wakanda and gets barked at for talking out of turn. Sorry, my Black girl nerd slipped out, which is actually the...

Anime Winners: A Look Back at the Top 10 of Winter 2018

Winter 2018 is over and it’s time to take a look back at the best new series of the season. To be honest, I thought the fall anime season had more wins than winter, but there were a few shows that I enjoyed watching. Check out my top 10 list of the best Winter...

Wakandacon Is Bringing Afro-Futurism to the Chi In August

Wakandacon is a fan convention happening in Chicago, IL to celebrate Afro-futurism, tech, and community outreach. Wakandacon will take place at the Hilton Chicago from August 3rd to 5th. The three-day event is being organized by a team of African-American Chicago residents: siblings David, Ali, and Matt Barthwell; along with entrepreneur Lisa Beasley and producer...

Black Woman 2020: The Box Gives America What It Deserves

In these exhausting political times, it has become painfully apparent that America needs a hero. While the news of a possible Oprah presidency sparked excitement in some people, for others it was just another reminder of the burden placed on black women to fix America’s problems. From changing the course of history by voting...

BGN Interview: Maori Karmael Holmes, Executive Director of ARRAY Alliance

In February of 2018 it was announced that Maori Karmael Holmes would take on the mantle of Executive Director of ARRAY Alliance, the non-profit arm of the film collective ARRAY Now, founded by director Ava DuVernay. Holmes previously founded Black Lily Film & Music Festival for Women (2006 - 2010) which catered to and...

Candice Patton Ignores the Trolls and Focuses on the Importance of Representation

Many of us have experienced the vitriol of cyberbullying. It’s everywhere on social media with marginalized groups taking the brunt of these attacks. Black women and women of color are popular victims of online harassment. Not only are we harassed because we are women, we are harassed because we are women of color. Thus,...
All original content on these pages is fingerprinted and certified by Digiprove
X